Fall and Halloween Decor Ideas

Friday, October 10, 2014

I've never been afraid of mixing different decor ideas for one party. Our wedding was a little bit Spring and a little bit Summer with yellow calla lilies, hydrangea and lemon centerpieces, and a beach themed cake! 

My pumpkin craft night is next week and I wanted to have fun with the same idea and mix fall and Halloween decor ideas together for the party.  The inspiration for my party decor started with this incredibly awesome spiderweb garland Jen of 100 Directions created for the Cricut Design Space Star Challenge.



Jen made a downloadable SVG file of the spiderweb and since my boss Monica of East Coast Creative blog is part of the Cricut Design Space Star challenge as well, I already knew how to use the new Cricut Design Space


However, that's when I found out the hard way that my Cricut Expression is not compatible with the new technology that the new Cricut Explore machine uses. Therefore I was unable to download and use Jen's awesome spiderweb in the design space. 

So I went through the cartridges I had on hand and luckily I found a few fall images, like the pumpkin seen below, that I could work with.   



I have a lot of scrapbook paper in my craft collection and found the perfect colors for this project. 

Items Needed for DIY Pumpkin Garland

Cricut Cutting Machine
Cricut Mat
Cricut Cartridge: Stretch Your Imagination 
Scrapbook Paper
String, Ribbon, or Tape 
Hole Punch
Zots (glue dots)

Step 1: Lay your paper on the Cricut Mat and load it into the Cricut machine. Determine what size you would like your pumpkins, mine are 4'', then on the Cricut Expression machine you will hit the "blackout" button then the pumpkin symbol, and hit cut.

Step 2: Once you have enough pumpkins cut, I printed 24 of them, punch out a hole on the edge of each pumpkin. Next string them onto your ribbon. (Note: If you don't have a hole punch or ribbon you can just use glue to hang them up in a line like Jen did with her spiderweb garland, easy peasy!)

Step 3: You can leave it as is and tie the ends of the string so the pumpkins hang with space between them. Or if you want your garland to look like mine, use zots or craft glue to connect each pumpkin together. I overlapped mine so the hole from the punch wouldn't show. 

Step 4: Hang your garland and enjoy the beauty of your work! 



After I hung my garland I stood back and felt like I needed more decor on the wall (the garland came first then the owls and leaves!). I went back to my craft room/office and grabbed my Hoot 'n' Holler cartridge to look for an owl image to cut. 


I just couldn't host a fall party without a few owls on the wall! Look how cute this little owl family is. Why haven't I been using my Cricut machine more?! 

I now had the fall decor look I was going for, but still needed more Halloween decorations to go with the spooky signs I had. 


So I went back to look through my cartridges for a third time and couldn't believe the Halloween images I discovered on the Paper Doll Dress Up cartridge. There was a witch hat, a bat, a mummy and a skeleton, a ghost, and wait for it....a spiderweb! Can you believe that I found a spiderweb image right in my own cartridge collection, who knew it would be hiding among the paper dolls?!  



I used tape instead of stringing them together since the web was so delicate, a few of them actually ripped as I was trying to hang them up!


The paper doll cartridge was hiding these awesome skulls as well! 

Have you started decorating for Halloween yet? Or do you keep your October decor strictly fall themed? 

Thanks for stopping by, have a great day! 

Linking up with Sarah at Sarah Halstead for her new link party...










6 comments:

  1. Wow, these all look great, Diana! I especially love the little owls! Since we're getting ready to move, we aren't really decorating this year, but I'm excited to decorate for Thanksgiving and Christmas once we're in our new place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Heather! That will be very exciting to decorate for the first time in your new home! So happy for you, congrats!

      Delete
  2. I have got to get a die cut machine to make all of these cute decorations.

    I would love for you to share this project at my Show Me Saturday party this weekend! We go live each Saturday morning at 7:00am EST. My readers would love it!
    ~ Ashley

    Psst... I am also hosting Our Favorite Things Pinterest Party right now! Join me and show off your awesomeness!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ashley! Sorry I missed your pinterest party and the link up. Def will join in next time. It was really fun making these on my Cricut. I'm hoping to win one of the new machines! :)

      Delete
  3. That looks great!! I really need one of those machines!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am really thankful to you for sharing these décor ideas here. It is really looking wonderful. I also want to plan a Halloween party like you and for that I need to hire best party venue rentals. Please help me with my search.

    ReplyDelete

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS