There are two oatmeal raisin cookie recipes I tend to favor and haven't ever strayed away from them in search of something new, why fix something that isn't broken, right?! However, I recently noticed that one of the recipes is slightly better than the other.
The two recipes I'm referring to can be found on the Quaker® Oats container and the Sun-Maid Raisins package, which is the one I used below.
Oatmeal raisin cookies are my go to dessert to bake whenever I need to make something for a party or event, so the recipe really needs to be perfect!
Oatmeal raisin cookies are my go to dessert to bake whenever I need to make something for a party or event, so the recipe really needs to be perfect!
On to the ingredients...
Recipe Ingredients from Sun-Maid Raisins package:
- 3/4 cup softened butter or margarine
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups quick or old-fashioned oats
- 1 cup Sun-Maid Natural Raisins
- 1 cup coarsely chopped nuts (optional)
Courtesy of Sun-Maid
Recipe Directions:
- HEAT oven to 350 F.
- BEAT butter, brown sugar, granulated sugar, milk, egg and vanilla until light and fluffy.
- COMBINE flour, cinnamon, baking soda and salt.
- ADD to butter mixture and mix well.
- STIR in oats, raisins and nuts, if using. Drop by tablespoonfuls onto greased cookie sheets.
- BAKE 12 to 15 minutes. Remove from cookie sheets.
- COOL on wire racks.
They look amazing, right? Well, although they tasted pretty good they were thin and falling apart. This is not how I want to present my oatmeal raisin cookies to my guests!
I noticed that the problem with the Sun-Maid Raisin oatmeal cookie recipe could be that it only called for one egg. Eggs are important in any cookie recipe, it's what helps hold the cookie together ( I'm sure for those with allergies there is something similar to an egg, perhaps vegetable oil, that has the same consistency. )
When I previously made the recipe from the Quaker® Oats container the cookies were a bit thicker, and stayed together pretty well. Here is the recipe from Quaker® Oats that I will be using from now on, unless you have an amazing oatmeal raisin cookie recipe that I should try and compare in a later post?!
Ingredients from Quaker® Oats container:
- 1/2 Cup(s) (1 stick) plus 6 tablespoons butter, softened
- 3/4 Cup(s) firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/2 Cup(s) granulated sugar
- 2 Eggs
- 1 Teaspoon(s) vanilla
- 1-1/2 Cup(s) all-purpose flour
- 1 Teaspoon(s) Baking Soda
- 1 Teaspoon(s) ground cinnamon
- 1/2 Teaspoon(s) salt (optional)
- 3 Cup(s) Quaker® Oats (quick or old fashioned, uncooked)
- 1 Cup(s) raisins
Recipe Directions:
Heat oven to 350°F.
In large bowl, beat butter and sugars on medium speed of electric mixer until creamy. Add eggs and vanilla; beat well. Add combined flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt; mix well. Add oats and raisins; mix well. Drop dough by rounded tablespoonfuls onto ungreased cookie sheets. Bake 8 to 10 minutes or until light golden brown. Cool 1 minute on cookie sheets; remove to wire rack. Cool completely. Store tightly covered.
Is there a recipe for oatmeal raisin cookies that you favor over all others? If so, I would love to try it out the next time I'm in need of my go to cookie recipe for a party or event!
Thanks for stopping by, have a great day!






Yum! Oatmeal raisin cookies are delish! I need to whip up a batch.
ReplyDeleteOMG these look incredible Diana! I have zero talent for baking cookies - they always come out charred or hard as rock. Very sad. :P
ReplyDeleteP.S. I have only tried one Revlon polish before. I loved the formula itself; but I agree about the brush...frustrating {I've heard many others say the same}. I prefer L'Oreal or Maybelline polishes when shopping drugstore nail products. Usually they have great formula!
xx