If you follow me on Instagram then you may have seen a little preview of the DIY spray painted mason jars I made for my sisters a few weeks ago. Well, after I made theirs (pictured below) I may have gone a little crazy with the spray paint and painted every jar in our house!
My younger sister was celebrating her 25th birthday and my older sister had been going through a lot of personal stuff, so I wanted to do something special for both of them. But first I needed to make sure I had their favorite colors right. My older sister is a Dallas Cowboys fan (boo!) and loves wearing anything that has their symbol on it, which means wearing a lot of blue. However, she also likes to wear pink on occasion. Since I had planned on spray painting the mason jars one solid color, I decided to send my younger sister a text to see if she knew which color Jenn (older sister) preferred more.
I already had the Krylon® fluorescent pink spray paint in my hand thinking Jenn liked hot pink more than blue...plus I just had this idea in my head that a pink jar would be so much prettier! Christina (younger sister) wrote back and said blue. UGH, but I really wanted the mason jar to be pink...decisions, decisions!
Well, as you can see I couldn't decide! Actually, the white I already had on hand and the metallic gold wasn't purchased until the next shopping trip!
I already had the Krylon® fluorescent pink spray paint in my hand thinking Jenn liked hot pink more than blue...plus I just had this idea in my head that a pink jar would be so much prettier! Christina (younger sister) wrote back and said blue. UGH, but I really wanted the mason jar to be pink...decisions, decisions!
I figured it would be better to test out both colors on Jenn's mason jar and go from there. I set up a few cardboard boxes on my husband's workbench to create a little cubby so I wouldn't get pink and blue spray paint on everything and got to work.
After cleaning the jar I spray painted each side with either the pink or blue (forgot to take a photo of that step) to see which color I liked best. That's when the light bulb went on in my head and I got the idea to paint the jar with both colors in a fading ombre effect. Genius idea, right?! I know it's been done a million times before, but I have yet to see an ombre effect done in the spray paint colors I was using.
I quickly cleaned off the pink and blue paint and started over again, which is what you see in the photo above!
I let the blue dry for an hour or so then sprayed the top with the fluorescent pink. While that dried I started on the red and black mason jar for Christina. There was no need to double check on her favorite colors, red and black are pretty much the only two colors she wears and decorates with!
Wondering about the little mason jar?! Well that was a gift I kept for myself! I experimented on that little jar over and over again until I settled on the pink and black...that was before I grabbed the metallic gold on my next trip to the store! But those DIY spray painted mason jars are for the next post!
I'm just so impressed with how beautiful they turned out, I'm pretty sure this is my favorite DIY project of all time!
Note: Each jar has two coats of both colors of spray paint on them.
I cut zinnias from my garden to fill the mason jars with, but I wasn't happy with how empty they still looked. So, I picked up a supermarket bouquet and divided it up between the jars to fill in the empty spots.
I also made a pillow for Christina using two skull bandanas and pillow stuffing. As you can see she loved her gifts...and really loves the color red!
After the gift giving we headed to Six Flags for a fun sisters' day out and bumped into Marvin the Martin and Daffy Duck while there!
I can't wait to show you the other DIY spray painted mason jars I made, I may have gone a little wild with the gold...oops!
Thanks for stopping by today, have a great day!
Linking Up At:
AKA Designs Weekend Retreat, The Crafted Sparrow Creative Collection, The 36th Avenue Best DIY Projects and Recipes Party, and The SITS Girls Sharefest.








I totally want to make some of these! Pinning for later!
ReplyDeleteThese look so beautiful, Diana, and I love the pillow idea, too. Glad you had a fun time with your sisters!
ReplyDeleteThank you so much for sharing your wonderful project Dina! The jars are looking awesome.
ReplyDeleteI would like to know the citing information for this article for my research paper please! Thank you.
ReplyDeleteSo beatiful :)
ReplyDeleteCan you do this with any type of shape?
ReplyDeleteNice! Will be making myself one this week. Thank you.
ReplyDeleteYour articles are more than wow! And also the best way to make understand the things mentioned in it.
ReplyDeleteSo much information’s and Good sharing blogs. Thanks.
ReplyDeleteVery nice. I like simple and this one is. Your design is great. I think I'll made something similar.
ReplyDelete