Love Your Body: Atutudes

Wednesday, June 3, 2015

How is everyone's week going? Have you started writing down your goals for this month yet? Tomorrow I'm sharing a few of my favorite planning and to-do list printables if you need a little help getting started. 

Today, however, I have another amazing Love Your Body story for you. This one is from my incredibly talented friend Kristal Lee of Atutudes Handmade Tutus

If you are new and don't know about my new series check out the intro here and the other guest post stories here, here, here and here



Why I Stopped Trying To Attain The Unattainable And Started to Love My Body

A lot of freedom comes after the age of 40. Having been married to my soul mate for almost 23 years now, I have learned to be comfortable in my own skin. I used to get jealous of other women and worry that my husband would stray. Not for any good reason other than my own insecurities. I loved him more than anyone in the world and never wanted to lose him. But once I hit 40 I finally came to the realization that we are meant to be together. He loves me with all of his heart and soul. I know this without a shadow of a doubt. And I feel the same about him. No one else could ever replace him. Those shoes are far too big.

Now hitting my 44th birthday, I am coming to the realization that I can never again be as perfect looking as I did in my 20’s. I used to have the “thought to be” perfect 36-24-36 measurements. As we age so many things change as women. Our metabolism slows down. Our skin starts to lose its elasticity. And that is normal and okay. On the positive side, you finally start to get self-confidence. You care a lot less about what other people think of you. You are able to focus on forging your own path in life. It is so freeing to finally be able to be yourself. To admit you have flaws. To be real.


There have been many stories that I have seen lately about how the fashion magazines edit the photos on their pages into complete submission. I believe this video from AdWeek is a great representation of how they do it. Even celebrities and super models have stated that they really look nothing like the photos that are published. So before you beat yourself up, please take the time to watch this video and see how that version of “perfect” is attained.

  

I am so thankful for role models like Megan Trainor and Amy Schumer. All About That Bass is such an uplifting and freeing song. It’s a lucky man that gets to handle that bass. I love the way Amy puts her comedic spin on the issues and the crazy things we as women do on her show Inside Amy Schumer. You have to laugh because it is so true!

We as women should celebrate our bodies, in whatever shape they are in. They are beautiful and wonderful. The give us children. I don’t know any mom out there that would trade her child to get her flat tummy back. It is crazy to beat ourselves up for not being perfect. No one is perfect. I don’t get paid to look like a celebrity. If it were my job, then maybe I would obsess over it. But I am going to give myself a break. And I urge you to do the same. I love my body. I am 5’6” at 158 lbs. I wear a size 12. But I think I look pretty damn good for a 44 year old. And I look a lot like other 44 year olds I know. We all would be considered imperfect by the Hollywood standard. But I challenge you to fall in love with yourself and create a new standard with me. 


xoxo,

Kristal

Kristal Lee is a Social Media Maven by day at PM Group, Inc. in Mobile, Alabama and a Tutu Maker and “Occasional” blogger by night at Atutudes, www.atutudes.etsy.com & www.atutudes.wordpress.com.

Find her on Social Media Here:

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
Pinterest 

2 comments:

  1. Great post, Kristal! We should definitely celebrate our bodies and all of the wonderful things they do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Heather! It is important to be healthy but not kill ourselves trying to be perfect. We are living up to a standard that someone else imposed on us. I say let's make a new standard.

      Delete

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS